Spain is a country that is characterized by its diversity in tourism, so that its visitors not only have the option to admire its historical and cultural wealth, but also charming rural areas. These natural and exotic places are ideal to get away from the noise of big cities and take a few days of relaxation.
Rural tourism in Spain is very popular and striking for adventurers, They can find villages with the oldest traditions of the country and typical cuisine of each region.
In addition, they can enjoy mountainous landscapes, valleys, forests, rivers and waterfalls that form a paradise away from civilization. ThusThese destinations are undoubtedly the ideal for a rural getaway.
1. The Natural Park of Somiedo, AsturiasSomiedo, Asturias - benjasanz / Shutterstock.com
This park presents natural diversity in its most virgin state, It is a terrain that has never been modified by man. It covers various valleys: Saliencia, Lake Valley, Port and Pola de Somiedo, Pigüeña and Perlunes.
It is characterized by its majestic rivers and considerable elevations,ranging from 400 to 2,200 meters. In addition, it was named a biosphere reserve by Unesco.
These are some of the characteristics of the Somiedo Natural Park:
- This is the habitat and home par excellence of the Cantabrian brown bear.
- It is ideal for multiple sports such as cycling, hiking, hunting, cross-country skiing and horse riding. There are also routes to go on foot.
- There are unique constructions called “Cabañas de Teito” or roofs made of plant material.
2. National Park of Ordesa and Monte Perdido, AragónOrdesa Valley, Aragon - holbox / Shutterstock.com
Located in the Aragonese Pyrenees, The Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park is a paradise surrounded by the most striking flora and fauna of all of Europe. In addition, it is composed of 4 valleys: Pineta, Escuaín, Ordesa and Añisclo.
It has 15,068 hectares of surface and it includes a mountain area of 3,355 meters high called Monte Perdido, the third highest in the Pyrenees.
Some of the unique features presented by the Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park are these:
- You can see glaciers, lakes, waterfalls and impressive forests.
- There are more than 1,500 species of plants, Some endemic. Among them are the honeysuckle of the Pyrenees, the bear's ear or the king's crown.
- The park is a bird conservation zone, among them the golden eagle, the hawk and the griffon vulture. In addition, otters, marmots, chamois and many other species can be observed.
- In the place, arid and desert areas converge with the most mountainous areas, covered with meadows and forests.
- It is a privileged area to practice extreme sports such as rafting, paragliding to admire the valleys or practice mountain skiing. There are also excursions in 4 × 4 vehicles or on foot.
«Mountaineer is not only the one who conquers the mountain. So is it, and very relevant, whoever feels it, admires it and contemplates it.
-José Ramón Lueje-
3. Route of Cares, AsturiasRuta del Cares, Asturias - Gabriel González / Flickr.com
It is located within the National Park of Los Picos de Europa. It is a phenomenal and exclusive landscape for adventurers, who year after year walk the high gorges.
The Route of Cares offers numerous attractions:
- It is surrounded by the river Cares and is covered in 12 km. The road is 2 meters wide and care must be taken when traveling in a vehicle, since in some sections it becomes inaccessible.
- The route was named "The Divine Gorge" and merges with Asturias and León. Two regions linked by the rural paths of this park.
- For the hardest, The route is traveled on foot. It takes up to 4 hours to complete the ride.
- There are several types of transport that allow the traveler to enjoy this trail: Taxis, mini buses, vans and 4 × 4 vehicles.
- Tours and stops are offered at various viewpoints that are on the road. In this way, you can enjoy without doubt the panoramic views of the place.
But Spain is full of wonderful corners in which to enjoy nature. The ones we have shown you are just three fantastic rural getaways, perfect for a long weekend or a small vacation.