Leipzig is a multicolored German city, lively and full of attractions for visitors, although very unknown. The peaceful revolution of its citizens was decisive in the fall of the former GDR and in the German reunification in 1989, which is why it is also known as “the heroic city”. And one more fact before traveling its streets: here you can breathe music in every corner, thanks to the fact that great orchestras and composers such as Bach were established in this place.
Strolling through Leipzig
In 116 Leipzig received the right of city and market, thus becoming one of the main shopping centers in Central Europe. Further, it houses one of the oldest universities in Germany.
Walking through its historic center is strolling between magnificent baroque buildings, cobbled streets and medieval squares. We will stop at some of the most interesting places in Leipzig.
The church of Santo Tomás
This Lutheran church, the second oldest in the city, is the temple where the great musician Johann Sebastian Bach worked as choir director. In fact, the composer is buried in it.Church of Santo Tomás - Christian Draghici
A church whose origins date back to the 13th century. Between 1212 and 1222 this enclosure would become the monastery of Santo Tomás de la Orden de San Agustín. It began to be built in Romanesque style, but during the fifteenth century it underwent profound remodeling until it looked closer to the late Gothic.
But this church would still undergo more changes over the centuries. The tower was built in 1537 and was rebuilt in 1702. Today it retains its structure, almost 70 meters high. The bombings of World War II destroyed the church tower, which had to be rebuilt.
It was after the war when the remains of Sebastian Bach moved to this church, since the temple they were in, the Johanneskirche, had been completely destroyed.
Gewandhaus Concert Hall
This concert hall was originally built by Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe in 1781. It is the headquarters of the Gewandhaus orchestra and formerly functioned as a textile industry. In 1884 it was an outstanding construction thanks to its acoustics, designed exclusively by Martin Gropius. In World War II the place was ruined after the bombings.Gewandhaus - Alupus / commons.wikimedia.org
This building was rebuilt up to three times. In 1968 the ruins were demolished to give way to a new car park, so the orchestra worked in the cinema Kapitol during 1945 and then in Kongreßhalle am Zoo until 1981. It was not until 1977 when the reconstruction of the place began, by the hand of Kurt Masur, who designed a building of brutalist style, very fashionable at that time.
Do not forget that this city is closely linked to the world of music, and not only by the figure of Bach. Here Richard Wagner and Felix Mendelssohn were born, who directed the theater of the Gewandhaus and founded a conservatory in which figures such as Ignaz Moscheles or Robert Schumann were professors, among others.
The great Völkerschlachtdenkmal monument
This monument was built in commemoration of the defeat of Napoleon in Leipzig.Known as the "Battle of the Nations", in it the Napoleonic troops faced a coalition formed by Prussia, Russia, Sweden and Austria. For that reason the monument honors German soldiers and also of other nationalities.Völkerschlachtdenkmal - dwphotos
Scenario of Hitler's rallies when traveling to Saxony, this concrete and granite structure measures 91 meters high and it has 500 steps that allow you to reach a higher platform from which you can enjoy wonderful views of the city.
In one of the lower pavilions you can visit a museum that exposes the history of the battle of Leipzig. Inside, both weapons and uniforms are displayed.
"The only way to win a war is to avoid it."
Botanical Garden of the University of LeipzigElster Weir - LianeM
The Botanical Garden of the University of Leipzig covers about 3.5 hectares and houses up to 10,000 plants of 600 species of all kinds. It is listed as one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world and the largest that exists in Germany. This project was started in 1539 thanks to the impulse of Caspar Borner and Joachim Camerarius.
At the beginning of the project it was intended to create a garden of medicinal plants and in the year 1840 the greenhouses were built. One of the most outstanding collections that the place has were the ferns, which represented more than 607 species for the time. It was demolished by the Nazis in World War II but after the reunification it was completely renovated.